Saturday, January 2, 2010

A New Year, A New Decade, A New Raven?

Happy New Year y'all.  2010 just sounds positive, doesn't it? In keeping with that, I've been inspired to be more upbeat as well.  I'm basically happy but a cynical sort who gets easily frustrated, but I think with a new decade and all, I want to accomplish more and the best way to do that is to be a more optimistic, cheerful and buoyant person.  What's that weird sound...ah, sighs of relief.  Hmm.

Don't get too excited, Pollyanna is dead and I still hate most songs in major keys. However, all angst-ridden alcoholic Hemingwayesque successes aside, I do think creativity is best nurtured when the creator is enthusiastic and cheerful.  There will be days when this is an uphill battle but all effort will be made to turn sarcasm into wit and snarky comments into helpful suggestions.  If you feel I'm sliding downhill, feel free to verbally push me into a more upright stance. A short text/note will do, I suggest QBB (Quit Being a Bitch).




There is more. This year I also vow to:
1.  Finish my years-long apocalyptic novel.
2.  Start the next one.
3.  Write at least six more short stories.
4.  Do more yoga, dance and go to the gym again.
Then there's the really hard ones:
5.  Remember wine doesn't count as a fruit serving.
6.  Wear clothes that aren't black occasionally.
7.  Quit cutting my own hair.
8.  Stay away from Macy's.
9.  Walk the dogs more often.

10.  Stop snarling at people who say "bless you".

Laissez les bons temps rouler, darlings, and merci to Ms. Wolf Aesthetic for the inspiration.


Regardez, the kinder gentler Raven.

1 comment:

Christen Shaw said...

Woohoo! I second that notion, though, yes, it can be quite difficult to stay optimistic in the face of 40+ hour work weeks, creative blocks and struggles, sick puppies and everything else life tends to throw at you... though I have to say, if anyone, you can do it!!
I am really looking forward to seeing how the novel ends... this is harder than waiting for George RR, that procrastinating bastard.